On 26th February 1852, the bravery of the soldiers aboard the troopship HM
Transport Birkenhead made history and set the precedent of "Women and Children First" as naval protocol throughout the world.
This website was established to bring tribute to these gallant men and to promote the
150th Commemoration of the sinking of the
Headline: 160th commemoration of the sinking of the Birkenhead.
Date: 24 - 26 february 2012
- 24 Feb @ 19h00: Cheese & Wine Social
- 25 Feb @ 07h00?: Boat trip to Birkenhead Rock
- 26 Feb @ 11h00: Memorial Service at Danger Point Lighthouse
On Saturday 25 February 2011 at approximately 07:00 a few boats will depart from Kleinbaai launching harbour to lay wreathes on the Birkenhead rock. A small rememberance ceremony will be conducted at sea.
Members of the public, who'd like to participate in this ceremony, should please advise the Gansbaai Tourism Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Sunday 26 February 2011 a memorial service and wreathes laying ceremony will be held to honour all those who perished in the Birkenhead tragedy.
Date: Sunday 26 February 2011
Venue: Dangerpoint Lighthouse (Birkenhead Memorial)
More information and RSVP:
Glenda Kitley: 072 291 5564 or
Hanrie Jacobs: 028 384 1439
the 23rd of February 2002 a commemoration ceremony
honouring all those who perished in the Birkenhead tragedy
held at Danger Point close to the town of Gansbaai
in the Western Cape Province of South Africa.
The following people contributed towards the establishment of the website:
Casper Geldenhuys, who initiated the idea of creating a site and who gave continuous
input and help
David Bevan, author of the book "Stand Fast", who gave permission to use anything from his book
Jimmy Herbert, who provided lots of digital images and content - especially about the salvage operations
The Website is hosted by MAXITEC
and maintained by
Please send any comments or ideas to the webmaster: email@example.com
MEMORY OF THOSE
memorial plaque at the foot of the Danger Point
Lighthouse, near Gansbaai. The plaque was
erected by the Navy League of South Africa in 1936.
next to the
Birkenhead Memorial, approximately
metres from the lighthouse.